The British Safety Council has launched a free, special one-year 60th Anniversary Supporter offer for small organisations and charities to help them manage health, safety and environmental risks.
Responding to the challenges of time, resources and the shortage of health and safety expertise among the smallest companies, the British Safety Council is inviting small and micro-sized organisations (under 50 employees) and small charities (under 100 employees) from across the world, to join it as Supporters.
Small and medium-size enterprises account for 47% of private sector turnover and 60 per cent of the sector’s workforce. It is a very diverse group of businesses, since they include both sole traders and companies. Almost 82% of SMEs are micro businesses, with under 10 employees. These figures demonstrate the complexity of the sector and the inherent pressures these organisations face in tacking workplace health and safety risks.
The Supporter offer is one of the initiatives which the British Safety Council is launching in 2017 to celebrate 60 years of its campaigning activities and its contribution to improving the safety and health of workers in Britain and abroad.
Supporters will enjoy a range of services and benefits, free of charge, for 12 months, to help them manage health and safety risks in their organisations.
A Supporter will receive:
- A limited-edition Supporter logo, which they can use to show their commitment to health and safety;
- Access to a 24/7 telephone helpline with practical guidance and technical advice;
- Free places for all employees on the British Safety Council’s General Health, Safety and Environmental Awareness e-learning course, ideal for inductions;
- Online risk assessment templates that include general risk assessment, fire and manual handling;
- Digital edition of the monthly Safety Management magazine;
- Electronic posters and guides that focus on themes such as stress, lone working and manual handling;
- Hear about opportunities to meet and engage with experts and peers tackling similar issues in their sector at the British Safety Council’s events and seminars.
Jigna Patel, Membership and Service Delivery Director at the British Safety Council, said: “The British Safety Council recognises the business and other challenges which small organisations and charities face in their everyday operations, often working with very limited resources, that make the management of health, safety and environmental risks even more difficult. Therefore, we are delighted that during our 60th Anniversary year, we can offer tailored support to the smallest businesses and charities through our Supporter offer, something which could help them put health and safety at the heart of their business.
“We are promoting the Supporter offer with help from other membership organisations, including the NCVO, which champions the voluntary sector, and NAPIT, a membership association for the building services industry. Extending our reach in this way will help us achieve our vision that no-one should be injured or made ill at work.”